Friday, June 22, 2012

Miracle Baby

Let me start out by saying it took me a long time to figure out what I should title this entry.. Unprepared, unexpected, underestimated, most terrifying experience of my life!... These are just several of the words that went through my mind when I think about how to describe Thursday June 21, 2012- the day we met (very briefly for me anyway) our beautiful little girl. We welcomed Charlotte (TBD) Olson into the world at 6:44pm via c-section. Weighing in at 2 lbs 10 oz this strong little one came out breathing all on her own- some would say that in itself is a miracle. Although it wouldn't last too long, I knew from that moment she's a fighter, and she's gunna make it. 


I guess I should back up a bit and explain how it all happened... Thursday afternoon I went in for a 30 week ultrasound to make sure this little girl was growing on schedule.. Jared and I both admitted to having not so great feelings the week leading up to the appointment, I hadn't felt her move much and was worried something was off. That morning as I got ready I laughed to myself 'what if I had to have the baby today? Haha, no way I don't even have diapers.' Unfortunately that's only the beginning if how unprepared I am... And in just a few short hours (it literally felt like minutes) I was being rushed across the street to St Marys to be hooked up to monitors and IVs. Little Charlie's growth was, well, just that. Little. My doctor had hoped to keep her in for as long as possible to ensure the best development for her lungs she could get by steroid shots. Unfortunately I got only one shot before it was decided we couldn't wait another day and I was almost immediately taken to the OR. They wasted no time drugging me up and before I knew it the neonatologist was showing me my first (much too quick) glimpse of our sweet baby. And that's the last I'd see of her for 11 of the longest hours of my life.. Ideally I was to go back to my recovery room and rest up as much as I could (hows one hour of sleep in 30 hours?-I'd say pretty good considering the circumstances..) while Charlie went to Neonatal Intensive Care Unit (NICU) to be poked and prodded and worked up. I sent Jared frequently for reports and picture updates of how our little one was progressing. All was good. Even the doctors agreed she's making great steps. Such a strong, brave, courageous little girl we have on our hands... How did I get so lucky? If I'd not have gone into my doctor appointment we might be singing a very different tune tonight--to say the least. The fear, the tears, the worry and upset- I'd have to say so far it's worth it all. She's a beauty for sure and not only that but she's a trooper. Jared and I joked we should make her middle name be 'Norris' so we can call her 'Chuck Norris' cuz nothing can take this little sweetie down. 


Being born ten weeks early puts her up for many risks and challenges to overcome, but I'm confident that she can do it. I've felt the love and prayers of all those around us and that night she was born there's no denying the spirit that poured all around me. I WE love that little girl so much after knowing her just a short time. So there you have it, she's a miracle in every way and even though we've got a long, terrifying road ahead we're already so blessed to have this little slice of heaven in our lives!

1 comment:

  1. Almost cried reading this. She is a trooper, and so are you!

    ReplyDelete