Monday, March 7, 2011

Sunday’s Best

Sundays are by far the best day of the week. Jared and I have the entire day to spend together. Usually we've been finding ourselves ending up at my dad’s for dinner. It's not that I don't want to cook, it's just that the food at my dad’s is much better. Plus, it's so convenient because he literally lives eight minutes away- sometimes less, but it really depends on who's driving...

Anyway, after church we typically lounge around a bit, I might do some baking if I'm feeling especially motivated. And then around five we'll make the quick drive to my dad’s house. By the time we get there the house is filled with delicious smells of whatever my step mom has brewing that night. And then to top it off, at the heart of this practically gourmet meal, we always have dessert to look forward to.



Last night featured homemade Napoleons. Decadent paper thin phyllo dough squares with alternating layers of lemon cream and freshly sliced strawberries in between and drizzled with lemon and topped with a dusting of powdered sugar.

Although the desert is tasty, the best part is spending time with family. I feel like it is such a blessing to be able to sit and enjoy each other's company. It’s so nice to live so close to family and to be able to see them pretty much whenever. Although sitting down for dinner as a family has been at a slow decline in America over the past few years, I think this is one tradition I’m going to stick with

No comments:

Post a Comment